Congratulations on the birth of your child, or a new arrival into your family, or maybe coming together to make a new family – these are all are special moments in our lives to be celebrated!
Creating memories for these special moments, shared with your family and friends, is something I love to do and together we can create a personal naming ceremony that is just right for your new family.
Creating your naming ceremony
As a non-religious celebration, a naming ceremony can be made up of any words, songs, poems or symbolic gestures you choose. And it can take place anywhere you choose too.
Just as you would have ‘god parents’ at a christening, you can ask friends or family to be ‘guide parents’ or ‘supporting adults’ to your child and they can make promises that are meaningful to you all. Parents often choose to make commitments to their child as part of their naming ceremony and I can help you craft these into something special that you want to say to your child and to share with your family and friends. The options for adding a symbolic gesture to your ceremony are endless and make a unique and memorable addition to the day. Ideas include tree planting, footprint making, giving of gifts or wishes from guests into a memory box, lighting candles or sand blending.
If you have an idea of what you would like, I will design your ceremony around this or, I am happy to make suggestions to suit your family.
Below is an example ceremony which would last around 20 minutes:
- Guests gather in the area for the ceremony
- Welcome and introductory words about celebrating special moments
- Your family story and latest arrival, which I will create with you
- Poems or readings by a family member or friend
- Your parental commitment to your child
- Introducing the guide parents and their promises to your child
- Formal naming, possibly with all guests joining in
- Symbolic gesture such as tree planting or footprint making
- Closing words
Many families choose to have their naming ceremony at home but a local park can be a great option if you want to invite friends to join you. You can of course always hire a community hall or hotel function room. It’s entirely up to you, there are no limitations!
I mainly conduct ceremonies in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire and London but I’m happy to travel.
Services provided by Silver Bee Ceremonies
The best way to get started is for us to have a chat over the phone or via Skype or Facetime to discuss some ideas and for me to learn a bit about you and your family. From this initial meeting I will draw up a ceremony plan free of charge. If you would like to go ahead I will ask for a deposit to secure your naming ceremony date in my diary. From there I will arrange a meeting with you so I can write a detailed script for you to review and for us to edit together until you are completely happy with everything.
My fee is £250 and this includes:
- Personal naming ceremony based on your wishes
- Support and ideas to write your parental commitments
- Suggestions for promises for guide parents to make
- Ideas for symbolic gestures that suit your family
- Suggestions for poems, music and readings
- Initial phone or video meeting
- Face to face meeting, normally at your home, so I can get to know you all
- My undivided attention on the day to ensure your ceremony is just as you want it to be
- Presentation version of your naming ceremony script as a keep sake
- All travel for meetings and on the day within 30 mile radius of KT11
- Professional indemnity and public liability insurance
- Backing from Humanists UK and an alternative Humanist celebrant in the unlikely event that I am unable to perform your ceremony as planned
Words from a few of my happy families
“Stephanie was able to provide us with such a special day for our beautiful baby boy at his naming ceremony. Her kind nature and loving personality made Hudson’s day very special and we will never forget it. After having two christening’s for our two older children we found Hudson’s naming ceremony so much more laid back and a lot more personal and memorable. Everyone commenting on what a lovely service Stephanie provided us.”
Kate and Martin, July 2019
“Stephanie conducted a naming ceremony for my son for his first birthday. She was so friendly and helpful, giving us as much time as we needed to perfect the ceremonies. It was such a personal service and Stephanie had some great suggestions to make it more fun for everyone. We particularly enjoyed the singing! We had so many compliments afterwards and will definitely use Stephanie again for any future events. Thanks again!”
Claire and Matt, June 2019
“Stephanie helped us create a beautiful naming ceremony for our little boy, it was the perfect way for us to welcome him to the world surrounded by our family and friends. Stephanie was great throughout, she took time to get to know us as a family, helped provide ideas and wrote a beautiful script for the ceremony. The ceremony itself was just as we hoped it would be, personal, moving, funny, yet relaxed so even our youngest guests enjoyed it and were able to take part. We would highly recommend Stephanie as a Humanist Celebrant for a naming day.”
Laura and Cass, May 2019